Monday, June 05, 2006

Little Blue Pills, Little White Pills & Smoking At Pravda


Well, the easy catering gig I was hoping for on Saturday night was not to be. Instead, it turned out to be a bitch; as much of a snap as Friday's affair had been, that's how difficult this one turned out to be. There were no elevators, so everything had to be taken up multiple flights of stairs -- plates, racks of glasses, bins of silverware, trays of food, ice... you name it. It was a sit down dinner for about 180, buffet style, plus smaller cocktail parties on two other floors. The logistics were daunting, to say the least. But we had a real good crew, including myself, Sarabelle, Theo, Isiah, Dean, Daniel and Jean as the captain. We earned our money that night. But the harder you work, and the more there is to do, the more you bond with the rest of the staff.

After work a few of us went out for drinks. Jean had a few, how shall we say, little blue and white pills that go a long way toward relieving any aches or pains you might have, if you get my drift, someone had a joint, and by the time the Stellas were going down, we were feeling no pain. Jean even said I've come a long way and would have no problem recommending me for other gigs, unlike a few months ago, when I was a disaster, even if he didn't use that word. So that made me feel pretty good. However, the season is winding down, at least for the school events, so I have to hook up with something for the summer. Me and Tony ended up at Pravda, where on the second floor you can smoke with total impunity, I have no idea why, but it's a nice little secret. Plus the drinks are made good and strong. By the time I stumbled home it was 5:30 am.

I have two parties this week, in fact they're on the same day, Thursday, plus two more next week, Monday & Tuesday, and that's it as far as I know. I hope the proofreading jobs come through; I'm gonna need at least two a week this month. I have about four parties set up thru early next week. I need dough like anyone.

No comments: