Friday, June 23, 2006

Interpersonal Interaction & Interconnection

Just returned from a five-hour assignment at S.Communications. They also said they would need me next week. I talked to someone there who freelanced at the same agency I'm registered at and was just hired full-time. Of course, it's a slightly different animal in that those are all Web designers and graphic artists while I can best be described as an old-school proofreader, portraits a specialty. Odd Couple reference, people. But it would be a nice place to work full time, I think. Who knows, people change according to different circumstances, and there is some...if not yelling, then some degree of friction, usually the result of deadline pressure. But the people there have been nothing but cool to me. They all pass me around from person to person, interacting interpersonally all the while. And at the end of the day, isn't that what it's all about? Of course it is, jerky. And there are some really hot young wimmens I'd like to...interconnect with, shall we say.

Still haven't heard from the Hotel Wales regarding my starting date. I thought R. said someone would be in contact with me regarding beginning my training. I am anxious to start. Hopefully I can juggle the training with the freelance assignments that are coming my way. All of a sudden I am in demand. I worked four days this week, three at S. and one at L.T. It went well at L.T. yesterday, I was there from 10 to 5:30 and met a lot of different people who all promised they would be sending me work. I got the same grateful vibe there that I get at S. One person said they were glad i was there that day after i caught a bunch of stylistic inconsistencies in a promotional letter. That's what i do, people. However, I realize that i am just one of maybe 3 or 4 freelance proofreaders on their list. And with no Internet capability at home, I would have to shoot to the library or the internet cafe to send edit the stuff and then send it back. If i start getting a shitload of work I will have to get something at home. AOL Dialup sucks, though, but it may be my only choice.

I may look into a new apartment soon. If the Hotel gig works out and i can juggle the freelance stuff and the catering when that comes, i will look for something at the end of the summer, beginning of fall. I need a change of pace. But it has to be a significant upgrade at the same rate before I even consider it. I really need wood floors at this stage of my life. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: