Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Just Funny Looking In A General Kind Of Way


Steve Buscemi. Criminally underrated actor. Don’t give me that character actor bullshit. That’s condescending crap. This is a guy who makes every movie more interesting just by being in it, who usually ends up stealing the movie, as film insiders say. Just took out IN THE SOUP (1992) from the library (which incidentally cost me six bucks because I returned it two days late, thereby defeating the whole purpose of using the library as opposed to Blockbuster), and again was blown away by the sheer watchability and likability of his performance. Just off the top of my head, there’s Ghost World, Fargo, Reservoir Dogs, Trees Lounge… okay, now I’m looking him up in a film book … and Living in Oblivion – all among my favorite flicks and largely if not solely because of the acting chops and charisma of the ex-NYC fireman. That’s right, you read it right. Although let’s be honest, if you’re trapped in a burning building, is Steve Buscemi’s goofy mug the first thing you wanna see climbing your fire escape to rescue you?

Some little known Buscemi factoids: Auditioned for the part of George Costanza on Seinfeld; volunteered at his old firehouse after 9/11 and worked 12-hour shifts searching for lost firemen; graciously helped out my friend John with his short film festival several years ago.

No comments: