Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Five months off...


I was fired last August after over 17 years at the Transcript. Downsized, as the saying goes. Was I bitter? No, not right away. Now am I bitter? Yes. Add pissed off, panicky, directionless and you get an idea of my mental state. At first I was just relieved, because I thought I had some options work-wise. Now I kind of miss my old job, if not all the people.

I had the copy editor part of the job down to a science, while the production manager part of the job was always stressful as we got nearer to the weekly deadline. But I also had time to breathe, to take my a walk down Wall Street to the Seaport...

(This first post is gonna suck, I can feel it, you can feel it, we all can feel it. It will get better, I promise.)

Now I am down to five stinking unemployment checks left. Five. I owe more money, to credit card companies, etc., than most Third World nations. Some of them, let's face it, are not going to get paid any time soon. And I say this to most of them: too fucking bad.
I like my apartment, and I want to keep it at this point. I was hoping with over 20 years experience copy editing that I would be able to get a job in this field, but so far I am extremely discouraged at my prospects. So now I have to broaden my search to include other fields, including sales and retail. I really just want to work in an office and use my superior intelligence and people skills to edit some interesting copy. But the gods seem to be arrayed against me -- mocking me, mocking me, mocking me...

Eventually, this blog will be a veritable cornucopia of pop culture insight, political wisdom and overall gems of greatness. Maybe as soon as tomorrow. One never know, do one? But as it stands now, I wake up every day bemoaning my situation, awash in a sea of self-pity, with the clock ticking down on my unemployment checks. Tick, tick, tick...

1 comment:

John Salmon said...

Good luck getting a job. Nice music choices.